Whether you are hiring a website designer or using a DIY tool, it is worthwhile for you to spend some time thinking about what you want from your website. Here are eight questions to ask yourself before embarking on a new website launch. Knowing the answers to these questions are the right steps to planning a great website. It will also allow your website designer to provide you a more accurate estimate and avoid unexpected expenses for mid-stream changes and rework.
- Who is your audience? Think of the demographics of who you are trying to attract. Do you have more than one target audience? Is there a specific geography your business caters to?
- What “feel” do you want your website to engender to make site visitors want to stay on your site? Should it be professional? Humorous? Fun? Kid-friendly? Goth? Scary? Dope? You may wonder about why someone would select one of those, but, what if you are a thriller writer? Comedian? Lawyer? Pre-school? Skateboard manufacturer?
- What do you want your website to do for your business? Get more leads? Provide affirmation of your credibility and expertise? Showcase example of your work? Sell online?
- Keeping the answer to the question above in mind, what content do you want to include on your site?
- Then, how to you want the content organized so it logical and easy to find? That is, what will your website’s page structure be? For example, a simple website might look like this:
- Home Page
- Newsletter Sign-Up form
- Contact Us
- Terms and Conditions
- What are the most important messages a visitor should be aware of immediately? What do you want visitors to do when on your website, i.e., what is your call-to-action (CTA)? These items should be included on your website’s Home Page.
- Other than images and words, is there any “functionality” your website should include? Perhaps
- Sell products online
- Pay for services online
- Opt-in sign up form for your newsletter
- Buy Now
- Register Now
- Contact You
- Facebook or Instagram Feed
- Once your website is published, how often do you expect to change your content? Do you wish to do this yourself, or hire a professional so you can concentrate on your core competencies?
Answer these questions, and you’re at a great start for a successful new website. A strong website designer will discuss your answers, probe to understand more, and make suggestions that help you build a site that helps to support your business goals.
Ready to get started? Request an estimate from UmeWorks for your new website!
We strive to deliver more than a website. Our goal is to to be a partner in your business success.